Aussies dispose of a lot of waste – 10 million plastic bags every day and 1 billion coffee cups a year illustrate the problem of our throwaway society. When we’re not mindful of what we do with our waste, it typically ends up in landfills, which then has a negative ecological impact on the natural world around us. So, while searching for Sydney skip hire is important to remove those bulky items from your home; you also have a responsibility to do your bit for the planet. To help you, we explain what you can reduce, reuse, repurpose, and recycle, to take control of your household waste.
Although it might seem obvious, the best way to limit your waste is to not use it in the first instance. Products are only created in abundance because there’s a need for them. So, before buying a product, stop and ask, do I really need this? You can also do the following to reduce your carbon footprint:
• Reduce energy use: There are so many ways of reducing the amount of energy you use in your home. For instance, switching to LED lightbulbs will see you use up to 75% less energy than standard bulbs.
• Switch to cleaner energy: Given that Australia is blessed with natural sunshine all year round, switching to cleaner energy like solar is a great way to reduce waste and manage your carbon footprint.
• Stop wasting as much food: Food production is responsible for approximately 30% of global greenhouse gas emissions. So, create a grocery listen advance and make sure you actually need what you buy every week.
Thankfully, there is an increasing awareness of the issues associated with our throwaway culture, which has led many of us to take steps to reuse many of the products that typically end up in landfills each year. You can try the following:
• Reuse your drink bottle & coffee cup: Single-use plastic bottles and coffee cups are responsible for huge amounts of waste. So, opt for reusable products where possible and remember to take them when you head for your morning flat white.
• Reuse your shopping bag: In Australia alone, more than 4 billion plastic bags are used every year. And given that a plastic bag says in the environment for up to 1,000 years and negatively impacts the environment, avoiding them where possible is an important strategy.
• Look for second-hand clothes and furniture: Opting for second-hand household items and clothes is an excellent way to reduce waste and give life to previously loved objects. Not only this, but you can also bag yourself a considerable bargain when you buy second hand.
Repurposing items is a creative and innovative way of giving items a second life. While you might be looking for Sydney skip bin hire to dispose of bulky items that you can’t repurpose, here are some of the ways in which you can put your creativity to work:
• Convert old books or ladders into shelves or cabinets
• Use old bottle caps as tea lights
• Create a new coffee table out of an old closet
• Add tyres to your garden as plant pots
There are so many ways of repurposing old and bulky items that would otherwise end up in a landfill, so let your imagination run wild and save the planet at the same time!
If you have some items that you can’t reuse or repurpose, the next best thing is to recycle. In spite of significant efforts by governments in recent years, we still need to do so much more to meet our environmental targets. Here’s what you need to do to recycle the right way:
• Be mindful of what you throw away: As much as 90% of plastics and metals in mobile phones can be reused. Look online for ways to give your tech a second life instead of sending it to a landfill.
• Make proper use of your recycling bins: Although you might not know it, adding the wrong products to your recycling bins can contaminate an entire recycling stream. So, make sure you’re aware of what can and can’t be recycled and do your bit for the environment.
• Recycle whatever you can: Be it aluminium, plastic, glass, organic waste, or electronics, make sure you recycle whatever you can. Do your research and find out where you can take your items to be recycled, as we all need to do more to reduce the impact of global warming.
Now that you understand how you can reduce, reuse, repurpose and recycle to your advantage, you don’t need to fill your skip with unnecessary items. So, if you’re looking for affordable Sydney skip hire, give us a call today on 1300 701 701, and we will set up the perfect solution for your household waste.